Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan (1956)
Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan is two halves joined by a thinly sky-seeking sign structure. The halves are characterized by one being completely red brick masonry and massive, while the other, on the corner, is mostly transparent with a two-story transparent cube of green louvers on top of the storefront entry of brick and glass. Recently, the building has been endangered by demolition and insensitive alteration, but its design by W.A. Sarmiento for the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America is highly characteristic of designs for his other structures.
The building has had the signature louvers removed. It is currently used as a production studio rental facility.Historic photo credit: Image of rendering courtesy of Special Collections Room, Glendale Public Library, Glendale, CA.
Photo credit: Kirk Huffaker
Photo #1: Rendering Courtesy of Special Collections Room, Glendale Public Library, Glendale, CA.
Photo #7: Photo Courtesy W.A. Sarmiento